What on Earth are barefoot shoes?
Barefoot shoes, in a nutshell, are shoes that allow natural movement of your feet. They provide many of the benefits of walking barefoot (stronger and healthier feet, better posture, balance and movement), with a layer of protection between you and the ground. The main attributes of barefoot shoes are:
- A wide toe box: the front part of a barefoot shoe lets your toes spread outwards, rather than squashing them inward, as most modern shoes do. This squashing of the toes can cause foot problems like bunions, and also changes the way the toes are used in movement. Barefoot shoes allow movement, and ultimately better function, of the toes which is very important for a functional gait cycle.
- A thin and flexible sole that bends and moves with your feet, in all directions, and allows your feet to feel the shape of the ground. This allows your feet to develop their own strength and your body to develop its own shock absorption system.
- Zero drop: most modern shoes actually have a raised heel (yes, even men's shoes and yes, even runners), meaning the heel part of the sole is thicker/higher than the toe portion of the sole. Wearing shoes that are truly flat or zero drop means the ankle can move through its full range of motion and allows better stacking of the joints in the body (i.e. better posture).
- No toe spring: because many modern shoes have stiff soles, manufacturers have added a 'toe spring' where the toe of the shoe curves upwards. These kind of shoes function like a rocker, leaving little left for our feet to do when walking or running. And lack of use of the feet leads to weakening over time. The flat and flexible sole of barefoot shoes allows the foot to work naturally and maintain/develop strength.
- Lightweight design: allowing for more natural gait, with less strain on the tissues of the body.
Why buy from Barefootwear?
Barefootwear makes it easy for Australians and New Zealanders to buy high quality, European made barefoot shoes. It can be expensive and inconvenient to order barefoot shoes from overseas with conversion rates, international shipping and often, no option to return items that don't fit.
Barefootwear provides a convenient option for Australian (and NZ) barefoot shoe buyers: a local shop, offering local returns and payment in Australian currency. We pride ourselves on our excellent customer service and strive to make your shopping experience amazing.
What's more, when you buy from Barefootwear, you are supporting a 100% Australian owned, family run business!
Where are the shoes that you sell made?
Barefootwear sells shoes made in Europe. Be Lenka and Ahinsa products are designed and made in the Czech Republic and Slovakia under strict European Union laws related to health, safety, and quality.
How long will shipping take?
COVID update: Due to current lockdowns, we are experiencing some delays in receiving and sending shipments. We thank you for your patience and understanding at this time. Shipping estimates below and at checkout have been updated to reflect the current situation.
The current standard shipping estimate to Australian addresses is approximately 2-3 weeks. This is because items are ordered from Europe to meet actual demand. This also means it may take some time to receive your tracking information. If you would like your items more quickly, you have the option to select expedited shipping at checkout for an extra $15.
Shipping time frames are only estimates. Shipping to East coast metro areas tends to take less time, while shipping to WA and rural or remote areas may take longer.
Unfortunately some shipping delays are outside of our control, but we endeavour to keep you updated about the status of your order if there are any delays.
For some models of shoes that are in high demand, it will take a little longer to get your shoes as they are made to meet demand. We will let you know as soon as possible if this is the case for your order.
Shipping to New Zealand will take approximately 4 weeks.
A shoe model that I want is sold out on your website - can I still get it?
Sometimes products that are listed as 'sold out' will be available again really soon! If you are keen for a particular model, shoot us an email at email@example.com and we can let you know if you are still able to buy them.
Do you have a loyalty program?
Yes! We value our loyal customers and have a rewards program that you may choose to join. You will just need to create an account and then you can earn:
- 100 points for signing up
- 10 points for every $1 spent
You will receive 10% off for every 2500 points earned.